Subject: RE: make build error
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2002 20:02:29
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> ...yea I'm not quite sure where build.sh takes us >:}...i couldn't build a
> new kernel from a sync because make and gcc needed updated...I manually
> built and installed the latest make, but then share/mk still would
> recognize .if and .WAIT, so now I'm using build.sh on some advise in
> personal e-mail.
>
> I'm not sure if build.sh is going to actually make and install a new
> kernel and userland, or just build/bring everything up to date, then
> prompt me to install.  If it doesn't install the new kernel, but does
> intsall the new userland, my machine will be unuseable, I presume.

Yes. Stop. What you should probably do, is "./build.sh -t", then use
the new toolchain to build the kernel, then "./build.sh -u" (but you
currently still need to update "make" for the last step).

You can build a kernel with the new toolchain via:

	cd .../conf
	/usr/src/obj/tools/tools.<platform>/bin/nbconfig <configfile>
	cd ../compile/<configfile>
	/usr/src/obj/tools/tools.<platform>/bin/nbmake dependall USETOOLS=yes

Frederick