Subject: Re: Renumbering a RAID device with raidframe autoconfig
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2002 23:53:38
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Greg Oster wrote:
> > I was afraid that "raidctl -I" would damage my data, or wastefully mark
> > the parity as dirty.  You think it should be safe?
>
> It's safe.  It won't damage the data nor watefully mark the parity as dirty...

Thanks.  The following sequence worked for me:

boot (with a non-raid root filesystem, but with raid4 autoconfigured);
raidctl -u raid4; raidctl -c ${config_file} raid0; raidctl -I ${serial}
raid0; raidctl -A root raid0; reboot (this time raid0 gets
autoconfigured, with the undamaged data that used to be in raid4).

--apb (Alan Barrett)