Subject: Re: nvidia geforce2 go and xfree86
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@xlink.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2002 01:47:38
On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:34:12PM -0700, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Michael van Elst wrote:
>
> > fvdl@wasabisystems.com (Frank van der Linden) writes:
> >
> > >Nvidia GeForce cards work fine with XFree86 under NetBSD. You just
> > >can't use the HW accel support.
> >

> > Sort of. The NV driver does not support digital flat panel displays,
> > so it is not working for Laptops.
>
>   There is a work around for this though.  While looking for Nvidia
> GeForce 2 GO driver information, I ran across a message about using the
> "vesa" driver while getting the nvidia driver running.  Lo and behold,
> when I specified "vesa" instad of "nv", it worked on my laptop well enough
> for me at the moment.

"worked"..."at the moment".

The Dell Inspiron 8000 featuring a Geforce 2GO works with the
vesa driver but you do not only lose any kind of acceleration and
video modes but the fecking BIOS also fails to initialize the 1600x1200
mode correctly, so you have to run with a zoomed 1280x1024 display.

According to the responsible people for the NV driver there is no
chance to support flat panels with Nvidia for legal reasons.

--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de