Subject: Incorrect X mapping for uk keyboard
To: current-users@netbsd.org <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@nohope.l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2002 21:12:28
I've just configured my i386 'current' system (by hand, largely based on
changed files in my 1.5.2 system)...

Everything is fine except that I've the wrong keyboard map in X (the
console is fine).

I copied /usr/X11R6/* /etc/X11/* and /etc/XF86Config straight off my
working 1.5.2 system.  The desktop login comes up and appears to work.
However the keyboard map is no longer correct.

I'm using a uk keyboard (with '|'/'\' to the left of 'Z' etc) but I
think it is using the US map (#, @, ", \, | and ~ are in the wrong
places).

Any idea which config file I forgot to move (I think I've checked all
the files in /etc), or is something 'broken' elsewhere?

X might be using /etc/X11/XF86Config which contains:

    Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc102"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "gb"

On the other hand I have a /etc/XV86Config which is in the 'old' format
but something set it to:

    Xkbkeycodes "xfree86"
    XkbTypes    "default"
    XkbCompat   "default"