Subject: Re: 802.11 USB adapters?
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Anders Andersson <anders@hack.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/2002 17:36:05
On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 04:44:32AM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > Searching on buy.com shows about 10 different brands of these
> > devices.  None of these appear to be supported in -current; is there a
> > standard, or are they all proprietary?
>
> Some are based on a chip from Atmel which seems difficult to gen information on.
> Others are based on the PRISM2 chip which the wi(4) driver knows about.
> With the latter kind there would at least be hope...

In my laptop (Compaq Evo N400C with a WLAN usb module) running FreeBSD
5.0-CURRENT it reports as:
ugen0: Compaq Computers product 0x0033, rev 1.10/1.32, addr 3

From what I can tell it looks like a wi based chipset, so the part
remaining now is to get wi to "talk" USB with the device. I will try to
snoop the device in w2k some more.

--
Anders Andersson <anders@hack.org>
UNIX, Networking and Security consultant