Subject: Re: trying to update avifile-devel
To: Joachim Koenig-Baltes <joachim@handshake.de>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2002 11:41:58
Joachim Koenig-Baltes <joachim@handshake.de> writes:

> The problem seems to be, that soundcard.h defines _POSIX_SOURCE, includes
> <machine/endian.h> which includes, via <sys/endian.h> ->
> <machine/endian_machdep.h> -> <machine/byte_swap.h> -> <sys/types.h> which
> in turn only defines u_long and u_int only if _POSIX_SOURCE is _not_ defined,
> before _POSIX_SOURCE gets undefined again in soundcard.h.

Well, I've always disliked this (ab?)use of _POSIX_SOURCE, and in fact
the standard defines only a single way of using it, which is strictly
conforming applications defining it (or _POSIX_C_SOURCE these days) in
a compilation unit before inclusion of any header.

Isn't it sufficient, for the purposes of <soundcard.h>, to include
<machine/endian_machdep.h> and use _BYTE_ORDER?

- Klaus