Subject: HEADS UP: ISDN and PPPoE users need to rebuild userland
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2002 13:33:29
As I promised some time ago I have reworked all the ioctls used to configure
in-kernel PPP devices based on sys/net/if_spppsupr.c.

There now are new, much saner ioctls that allow keeping them binary compatible
in the future.

If you are using NetBSD-current and ISDN with the isp* devices or PPPoE with
the pppoe* interfaces, you now (hopefully for the last time) need to update
your userland tools before you can use a new kernel.

Additional caveat: pppoectl (and it's alias, ispppcontrol) have moved from
/usr/sbin to /sbin, so if you are using this (PPPoE users will, ISDN users
probably probably configure authentication through /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc),
make sure to call the right version and prefereably remove the old one.

To rebuild, you could compile a new kernel, boot it and use /usr/src/build.sh.

A minimal rebuild to make it work again is:

  cd /usr/src/sys/net && make includes
  cd /usr/src/sbin/pppoectl && make && make install
  cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/isdn/isdnd && make && make install

If you discover any problems, please let me know (via send-pr).

Martin