Subject: Re: wi(4) interoperability, 104bit WEP key patch
To: FUKAUMI Naoki <naoki@fukaumi.org>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2002 03:20:01
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:38:53AM +0930, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> Hmm, perhaphs this:
>>

>> > This is wi(4) interoperability (mainly, peer to peer mode) test notes.
>

>> is the answer (i.e. ``no'') to my question:
>>

>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Has anyone got an Airport card with the updated firmware (adding >40 bit encryption) to talk to anything other than a 40 bit base station?
>

> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html#Airport
>
> Hmm... AirPort Card is same as Lucent (Gold?) card... right?

Some sort of lucent like card yes.

wi0 at obio0 offset 0x30000 irq 57: 802.11 address 00:30:65:01:37:c9
wi0: using Lucent chip or unknown chip

The original air port cards were only 40 bit.  Apple made available a
firmware upgrade to the client side card (i.e. the card in my mac) to
enable 104bit WEP.  When I tried it against a 104bit basestation (not an
airport basestation though) I couldn't get it to work.

I'm wondering if anyone can report success with this.  I could be
missing something stupid.

(As an aside.  The last time I checked, the old 40 bit Apple Airport
basestations, couldn't be firmware / software upgraded to 104 bit.  New
basestations are the full 104bit.)

> If same as Lucent, I think it can talk to any stations (no WEP/40bit WEP
> /104bit WEP) in Ad-hoc demo mode, BSS mode (and IBSS mode if firmware
> version is >= 6.16) without any patches.

Ok, thanks for this.  Sounds like something else is going on.

Andrew