Subject: Re: FTP Problems : What's this about?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/2002 17:45:44
In article <200201020600.g0260Vj00327@dakkon.darykon.cet.com>,
	"Gerald C. Simmons" <simmons@darykon.cet.com> writes:
> I tried connecting to an FTP site and got the following error:
>
> ftp> ls
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||61403|)
> 200 EPRT command successful.
> 425 Can't build data connection: Address family not supported by protocol family.
> ftp>

That looks like a bug in the server to me.

> However, the Windows FTP client didn't do this. ???

Because it doesn't support "EPSV". AFAIK it doesn't even support "PASV".

> Try it!  Anonymous ftp to ftp.altera.com.

Enter "epsv off" after you connected and the problem is gone.

> I never noticed ftp going into passive mode before.

NetBSD's FTP client does this for ages. And it is good this way because
the passive mode is much more NAT friendly.

	Kind regads

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/