Subject: Re: Why not change disk naming?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@klamath.local>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2001 12:09:56
--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:41:38AM -0800, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 11:28:33AM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
>=20
> Aha!  You are getting bit by the fact that NetBSD is able to use a partit=
ion
> of type '165' for compatibility.  Since there is no "native" NetBSD
> partition type on wd0, it is falling back to the '165' partition, which is
> the FreeBSD one.  So it does not build the fake in core label correctly,
> and is trying to use the FreeBSD disklabel.  So when you ran mbrlabel on
> wd0 it worked ok for the in core label, but ended up trashing the on disk
> label when you asked it to. :)  (e.g. the FreeBSD label on wd0 was trashe=
d)

in core label, on disk label... I'm confused. I don't know what these terms
refer to. Can you explain please?

> The short term solution is to not write to the on disk label on wd0.  Just
> run mbrlabel at each boot with 'mbrlabel -w wd0'  and the in core label
> with be updated.

Could this be done from the kernel, updating the appropiate disklabel
in memory only each time it boots up? (of course, with a bit of
programming :)

>=20
> If you want to permanently write this label to disk you will need to crea=
te
> a NetBSD partition (type '169') on wd0, it can be tiny (e.g. < 1MB) as it
> just needs to hold the NetBSD disklabel.  Once you have a partition type
> of '169' on wd0, NetBSD will ignore the FreeBSD partition.

Well, after trashing FreeBSD's disklabel I decided to go and reinstall
everything. I deleted all slices from that disk (wd0) and installed only
Win98 and FreeBSD. So the only partition that is not inside the disklabel
is the Win98 one (and I don't need access to it from NetBSD).

I've created now the /home partition (the one I want) inside the disklabel,
so I hope NetBSD won't have any kind of problem :)

Thanks! (I'll try this later)

>=20
> And it is late, so I might be all wrong, but it seems logical. :-)
>=20
> -Andrew

--=20
La ignorancia es la felicidad.