Subject: Re: cntlaltdel on console
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 15:46:21
On 28 Dec 2001, Michael Graff wrote:

> Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> writes:
>
> > It would be easy to add.  Go ahead and do it. :-)  (To your copy of NetBSD,
> > I mean.  I don't want it.)
>
> I do.
>
> If it's sysctl'able, what's the real harm?  I've had to reboot several
> times where I didn't have DDB installed (or it was disabled) but I
> wanted to do a cleaner than "reset" shutdown.

If it's really going to be better than "reset", than what it does should
be configurable (i.e. path with args). QNX let's you "trap"
Ctl-Alt-Shift-Del in the start-up scripts, so you can configure it do a
clean shutdown of your mission application and reboot. It never fails to
do that. Or maybe, since NetBSD already has a way to configure the
shutdown sequence, it could just do "shutdown -r now". If we can't
expect the key sequence to do a complete, controlled shutdown, then
there's not much point (think Windows).

Frederick