Subject: Re: Why not change disk naming?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 22:14:34
--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:27:02PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:41:03PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
>=20
> Note that just making this "like FreeBSD" is somewhat distasteful to
> those of us not using PC hardware. The current system makes for
> short-to-type and perfectly clear ames on most of our ports
> (certainly most that I've used). And there're none of these stupid
> differences between disk labels and MBR labels. That's a
> PC-hardware-sucks problem, not a software problem.
>=20
> (By which I mean, I'd be kind of irked if my user experience on
> macppc, mac68k, and sparc was changed just to satisfy a few people
> using i386.)

Yep, I didn't remember that PC-hardware-sucks... sure, the MBR partition
table is weird weird weird. I wrote a paper about how to extend it with
some new structures, though I haven't wrote any code yet. If you want
to read it, I'll tell you the page, which I can't find now.

>=20
> > Oh well, my original question was about if netbsd will change it... but
> > never mind eheheh
>=20
> I'm sure patches would be considered. Have fun!

Hehe, that would be fun... but... well this would seem PC-dependant.

>=20
> > It is now more important to get it working with the current one. If I c=
an
> > do it, I'll be happy :)
>=20
> As has been suggested, mbrlabel(8) is your friend.

I'll try it :) But which label will this modify?

>=20
> --=20
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net