Subject: Re: How to install a current tree
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 12:06:36
On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:45:50PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was used to the way to install the tree on NetBSD 1.5... But with the
> new toolchain it has changed, to a better thing :)
>
> Well, I've done this to build the world:
> /usr/src# ./build.sh -d DESTDIR=/usr/NetBSD-new-build

It should work fine without DESTDIR.  I use it with just './build.sh'
at home.  It may be that something is not up to date on your system.
I do have 'TOOLDIR=/usr/obj/tooldir' in /etc/mk.conf on my system.

> So, which is the correct method of updating the system?
> /etc should still be updated by hand, right? Is it there something like
> FreeBSD's mergemaster?

You could just do "./build.sh -u -d DESTDIR=/" but that would overwrite
all of /etc on your system.  You *should* be able to just run "build.sh -u"
and have it build (without cleandir) and install into /.

I still prefer to just do "make build" in /usr/src myself. :-)
And I would hope "make install" would still work as well.

-Andrew