Subject: Re: cntlaltdel on console
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 23:46:53
I realy would like to have this, but keep in mind that not every port has
this Ctrl-Alt-Del thing as a key combination. On my sparc64 it is delivered
as a dedicated interrupt from the main PCI bridge (the power button on the
chasis, that is - I didn't yet test the power key on the keyboard, as I don't
have one attached normally).

This has been discussed about a year ago, when I suggested to make "some part
in the kernel" (whatever that is, i.e. keyboard driver or something else)
schedule a SIGPWR to process 1.

> Or maybe, since NetBSD already has a way to configure the
> shutdown sequence, it could just do "shutdown -r now". If we can't
> expect the key sequence to do a complete, controlled shutdown, then
> there's not much point (think Windows).

I would prefere if there would be a query on the console (with short timeout),
or, if you are running X an X applet popping up asking what to do (shutdown,
reboot, cancel) - with a short timeout too.

Later we could add "suspend" to this, for ports that support it.

IIRC this is what Solaris does do now.

Martin