Subject: Re: cntlaltdel on console
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 14:41:11
On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:46:21PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> If it's really going to be better than "reset", than what it does should
> be configurable (i.e. path with args). QNX let's you "trap"
> Ctl-Alt-Shift-Del in the start-up scripts, so you can configure it do a
> clean shutdown of your mission application and reboot. It never fails to
> do that. Or maybe, since NetBSD already has a way to configure the
> shutdown sequence, it could just do "shutdown -r now". If we can't
> expect the key sequence to do a complete, controlled shutdown, then
> there's not much point (think Windows).

There is a point if it can actually sync the filesystems.  A totally
graceful shutdown would be ideal, but if this is failing already there
needs to be a way to do halt(8) or reboot(8) so at least the file systems
are synced.

I have seen the "no more processes" message too many times in recent
weeks to not want something cleaner than the reset switch.  And if you
do something stupid like add 'softdeps' to /usr in /etc/fstab, you could
use something that can call sync(2) or just reboot(2) directly.

-Andrew