Subject: Re: Why not change disk naming?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 20:25:51
--mvpLiMfbWzRoNl4x

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 09:51:19PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:52:17AM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> > Hi all
> >=20
> > I usually use FreeBSD, where disks are called adXsYZ, where X stands for
> > the disk number, Y for the slice number and Z for the disklabel letter.
> >=20
> > I also know how NetBSD (and OpenBSD) name disks, with wdXY, where X is
> > the disk number and Y the disklabel letter.
> >=20
> > IMHO, FreeBSD naming is much more powerful and with a better design.
> > In NetBSD I haven't found any way to mount my linux home partition,
> > which is ad0s9 in FreeBSD and hda9 in linux. Maybe I have to hack the
> > disklabel to add this partition? Weird.
>=20
> Which release of NetBSD are you currently using? You can have 16
> partitions on NetBSD 1.5.1 or later (was 8 in the past releases).

I'm in NetBSD-current, updated today from cvs. If I run:
# disklabel -r wd0
I see FreeBSD's disklabel and all the partitions it contains. But I can't
see any other partition that is outside of it. Though fdisk sees them.
Here is my layout of the first ide disk:
1 - Win98
2 - FreeBSD disklabel
3 - Linux root
4 - Extended (linux swap, linux tmp, linux var, linux usr and /home)
Second ide disk:
1 - NetBSD disklabel

The partition I want to mount is the /home. It is ad0s9 or hda9...
but I can't find a way to use it from NetBSD :(

Any idea? Thanks!

PD: I still think that NetBSD naming scheme is not as powerful as the
FreeBSD one...

>=20
> Jun-Young
>=20