Subject: Re: stat(1)
To: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 13:06:52
On Friday, December 28, 2001, at 10:03  AM, Martin Weber wrote:

> b) wth is st_gen about ? I think I only see files with st_gen of 0 ... ?

I believe this is the inode generation number. If yours are all zero,
then that just indicates that you haven't run fsirand(8):

SYNOPSIS
      fsirand [-x constant] [-p] special

DESCRIPTION
      fsirand writes random inode generation numbers for all the inodes
on de-
      vice special.  These random numbers make the NFS filehandles less
pre-
      dictable, increasing security of exported filesystems.

- Geoff