Subject: Re: OT: mp3 player recomendation
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/2001 08:08:14
On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Martin Husemann wrote:

> I'd like to use my arm32 machine (a shark) as a MP3 player, booted diskless
> and located right at the amplifier. I don't intend to run X on that machine,
> only a simple player. This should be able to enqueue long lists of files
> to play, and optionally randomly select the next file to play.
>
> I'd like to have a front end for this player, running on another machine
> (with X and gtk or whatever), controlling the player on the disk- and
> headless machine via the network.

"gqmpeg" is just a front end for "mpg123". Maybe it would work to make
"mpg123" on the one machine a shell script, like "ssh headless mpg123"?
"madplay" is a nicer command line player than "mpg123" -- it supports
variable bit rate, and it gives a nice little display while it's running
-- but I don't believe there are any graphical front ends for it.

Frederick