Subject: Re: XFree 4.1 make install error
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Laine Stump <laine@laine.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2001 17:36:14
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:

> On 21 Dec 2001, Laine Stump wrote:
> >   making all in programs/Xserver//drive2/src/xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86...
> >   make: don't know how to make XFree86.man. Stop
>
> > Does anyone have an idea where this might have come from, or should I
> > just erase my work area and do a fresh cvs co?
>
> Don't know what could have gone wrong with your checkout, but
>
> 	cd xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/
> 	cvs update -A XFree86.man
>
> just pulled the file down for me. If you're afraid you might be missing
> something else, you could "cvs update -A" at the top,

Hmm. When I first did the cvs update, it complained about a bunch of .man
files (a few dozen) being "in the way", so I removed them and did a
2nd update. I guess the 2nd update failed in some way and I didn't
notice it.

I redid the update and the install completed successfully.

> 	cd xsrc
> 	make build USE_XF86_4=YES UPDATE=yes
>
> which is almost the same thing, except that it also rebuilds and
> reinstalls in "contrib"  and "local".

Ah, I hadn't know about that method before - I always went down into
xfree/xc and built. Thanks for the tip.