Subject: RAIDframe question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2001 00:52:45
I've recently started experimenting with a RAIDframe configuration on
a sparc.  I had to power cycle the box, and when it came back up it
complained:

/dev/raid0c: Parity status: DIRTY
/dev/raid0c: Initiating re-write of parity
[...]
Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
/dev/rsd0a: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rsd0g: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rraid0c: 1 files, 1 used, 6030095 free (7 frags, 753761 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)
/dev/rraid0c: MARKING FILE SYSTEM CLEAN
[...]
Mounting all filesystems...
mount_ffs: /dev/raid0c on /export: Device busy
[...]
Starting mountd.
Dec 20 22:19:06 sparky mountd[147]: "/export -alldirs -maproot", line 3: Could not remount /export: Invalid argument

Is this really the expected behavior?  I would have expected that if
the disk can be fscked, it can also be mounted.

If this is normal, is there any way to force the system to wait for
the parity to be rebuilt before attempting to mount that partition?
I'd prefer that over having to log in and manually mount & export the
filesystem every time the box is shut down improperly for some reason,
even though it can take a long time.  The primary purpose of this box
will be to serve this RAID via nfs, so it doesn't do me much good to
have the box up if the filesystem isn't available.

The system is running -current from yesterday.  dmesg can be posted if
needed, but I suspect it's not relevant.

NetBSD sparky.local 1.5ZA NetBSD 1.5ZA (SPARKY) #0: Thu Dec 20 01:58:21 EST 2001     root@sparky.local:/amd/zippy/root/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/SPARKY sparc

Cheers,
entropy