Subject: Re: tlp0: filter setup and transmit failure
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/2001 19:13:08
On the 15th, I posted a request for help to this list.  The problem has
been resolved (to the extent that it was a NetBSD problem, it appears to
have been cleared up in a more recent -current kernel; the rest was pilot
error).

> I've put -current (1.5Y; snapshot from around Dec. 1 or Dec. 6; GENERIC
> kernel compiled on Nov. 10th by root@celeron) on my Gateway 2000 machine.
> I have an immediate problem, and a warning that may be related.  The
> warning is a repeated event that is logging to my dmesg:
>
> tlp0: filter setup and transmit timeout

This was fixed by upgrading to some version of 1.5Z (sources CVS'd about a
week ago).

> This message came up, once, when I was booting.  After (manually) starting
> ipf/ipnat and trying to do some stuff (which failed; see below), I did a
> tcpdump.  At that point, the ``tlp0: filter ...'' message began to repeat,
> about once per second.  tlp0 is working in general.  (I can ssh in from
 [...]

I don't know if the messages & the failure were related or not.

After dropping in a 1.5Z kernel (which eliminated the errors), I suddenly
realized/remembered: GENERIC kernels have the GATEWAY option turned off.
I did a sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 on the live system, and things
work again.

I don't know if the 1.5Y kernel would have worked (despite the errors) if
I'd set forwarding=1.

Anyway.  Pilot error.  Mea culpa.  Nevermind.  Sorry.  (^&