Subject: Re: bug in build.sh
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2001 18:04:58
David Laight wrote:

> I've spotted that src/build.sh won't run under the bourne shell!

Actually it will (probably) hardly run under any other Unix until
something is done to reduce the length of some of the command lines.

Having just completed (most of) a userspace build I spotted a 34.8k
command line.  This is well in excess of any traditional limit.

I also think it ought to be possible to generate the image for a boot
CD without being root.  However I had to hack nbinstall to get anywhere
at all (explodes installing some header files).
The build itself finally died trying to chown the timezone files, it
seems that chown is directly called rather than install.  I suspect
that this is very near the end though.

For 'private' builds (ie ones where the intention is not to immediately
install the files onto the running system) maybe 'install' should just
log the source and target filenames and required permissions.  These
could be used to generate a release archive/package at a later date,
or used by root to install the files onto a target system.

	David