Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: sudog <sudog@sudog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2001 10:40:18
On Tuesday 04 December 2001 01:12, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:18:08AM -0800, sudog wrote:
> > isn't the driver for that card "iy0"? I run some of those here, it's
> > the ISA model right? I run a bunch of those. There were some problems
> > earlier in the driver but I think they've been fixed and had mainly to
> > do with systems that had multiple iy devices in them..
>
> No, it's not iy.

Are you certain? There is most definitely an Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+
ISA version, because I have about eight or nine of them ripped out of old
bank terminals that I've been using in all sorts of old machinery.

The ISA version was always detected as iy0/iy1 (after I added the entries
to a kernel config) and so forth. According to the URL:

http://www.support.vectra.hp.com/vectrasupport/level4/290vm0157en.pdf.html

The card is PCLA80205B? That might be HP's own nomenclature though..

In Intel's site, the following URL describes the PRO/10+ ISA (which are
the ones that I have):

http://support.intel.com/support/etherexpress/pro10/tti004.htm

The E10DISK is the one I use to reprogram the cards from the DOS prompt.
They are detected and work as "iy0" devices. Lemme dig up a dmesg..

iy0 at isa0 port 0x360-0x36f irq 11: address 00:aa:00:60:39:a6, rev. 1, 32
kB

Hrm..  That's not terribly informative. I can dig up the "real" chipset if
you like by taking a look at whatever's on the PCB? Maybe something's
weird going on here and some of my older problems actually stem from
incorrect kernel configs after all. (I was one of the ones with the
dual-iy0 firewall type problems that you kindly fixed up.)

> I've probably whined about this a couple++ times already on several
> mailing lists... read on.
>
> There are at least three, maybe four, completely different, but nearly
> indistinguisble by name chipsets out there. Complain to Intel Marketing.
>
> Name				Bus		Speed		Driver
> Intel Etherexpress 		ISA		10		ix
> Intel Etherexpress PRO		ISA(+PCMCIA?)	10		iy
> Intel Etherexpress PRO/10+	?		10		!= iy
> Intel Etherexpress PRO 10/100	PCI		10/100		fxp
>
> The iy chipset was only manifactured and sold for a very short time, and
> shortly after that, Intel used to deny its existence for several years.
> (Thats why the iy driver was broken for so long - I simply couldn't get
> the full documentation until very recently, when they apparently changed
> some or their policies, or at least procedures.)
>
> Regards,
> 	Ignatios

ttyl,
sudog