Subject: Re: cheap (apparently) NetBSD-compatible Cardbus->Firewire cards
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2001 14:28:33
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> writes:

> Well, for now there isn't much things awailable under NetBSD.
> I'm not even sure block-devices are supported.

Yeah, but now that everybody knows where to get cheap cards, maybe
driver hacking enthusiasm will pick up (I know I know - wishful
thinking :-). Or, maybe I'll get even luckier and become unemployed
(although I've been wishing for that every day for the last 2 years,
and it hasn't happened yet :-( - guess I need to be more
"proactive"...), after which I can spend some of my *own* time hacking
on it!

Do any of you know if there's any differences between the various
brands of firewire to IDE converters in external drive enclosures?
I've been toying with getting one and making my CD-RW external, but
would like to get one that I could eventually use on NetBSD (ie,
fairly standard and/or has programming info available). Any advice
appreciated.

Similarly - are all those cheap noname PCI firewire cards OHCI
compliant, or do I need to be careful which one I get?