Subject: Re: WARNING
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/2001 11:24:24
Todd Vierling writes:
- [*] The fact that CPP is used anywhere in the build system is a botch.  This
-     will be changed to use ${CC} -E where appropriate, or by building a
-     different way where ${CPP} is grossly abused, like it was in libc.

	What I did when I overhauled ConvexOS's libc build in
the early 90's was convert the syscall generations into m4
macro's instead of CPP macros.  As I recall, the problem I was
attempting to solve revolved around the differences between the
Classic C CPP implementation verses the ANSI C CPP
implementation.

	A late model m4 (sysv extentions) and a few lines of
in-line sh in the libc makefiles could generate all of the
needed system calls from syscall.h.

	If interested, I could probably those changes back out
of my archives.. (fyi: ConvexOS was based on BSD 4.2, with 4.3
extentions, and Net/2 networking.)

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
  Klingon DP Dictionary:  "What is this talk of 'release'?  Klingons do not