Subject: Re: Processes RSS stops growing
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2001 22:09:39
the "RSS" value is not counting pages in memory, it's counting the number
of pmap entries for the process, which is only an approximation of the
number of pages that the process cares about which might in memory.
it's probably a pretty good approximation, though.

if this is all anonymous memory allocated with malloc(), you can adjust
the sysctl knob for "vm.anonmin" to be more like 75 instead of the
default value of 10.  I don't know what the total effect of this will
on your machine, though.

-Chuck