Subject: Processes RSS stops growing
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2001 16:28:04
I have several machines running -current, and I'm seeing some rather
annoying memory behavior.

I have a process that takes about 700 MB, but on a 1 G machine very
little of it is actually allowed to be resident at any point:

PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE   RES STATE      TIME   WCPU    CPU   COMMAND
340 explorer  -5    4   712M  108M biowai/1  37:01 33.59% 33.59%   foo

ps axl returns the same data, so it's not a "top" problem.

On a 1.5 G system, approximately the same thing happens.  It's as if
there is an internal limit on the size a process can grow to before
the buffer cache becomes more important.

It does burst up to about 210 MB or so resident, then seems to page
back down again to 100 MB or so.

Are there knobs I can tweak here?  I'm certainly not a VM expert, but
I'm going to poke around a bit, too.

--Michael