Subject: Re: pkgsrc problems
To: Mike Saunders <method@method.cx>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/2001 16:33:49
--2YJj5f1P6Th4nBRw

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 03:18:24PM -0600, Mike Saunders wrote:
[clip]
> /usr/pkgsrc/audio/xmms/work/.buildlink/include/gtk/gtktypeutils.h:31:
> glib/glib.h: No such file or directory
[clip]
> glib.h definitely exists:
> schizo# locate glib.h
> /usr/include/glib.h
> /usr/pkg/include/glib/glib-1.2/glib.h

=2E.. but not in the right place. (As you note below, though, just
moving it around doesn't fix all problems, though it does seem to
make this one go away. That's not the real solution, though;
buildlink is supposed to take care of this, to my understanding.)

> 	After posting this message to the bbs I copied the .h files from
> glib-1.2/ to /usr/pkg/include/glib/ and I was able to get farther into the
> build, but it still fails with this:
> =20
> controlsocket.c:49: `SEMAPHORE_CLEAR' undeclared here (not in a function)
> controlsocket.c:49: initializer element is not constant
> controlsocket.c:49: (near initialization for `start_cond.c_lock')
> controlsocket.c: In function `ctrlsocket_func':
> controlsocket.c:392: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
> gmake[4]: *** [controlsocket.o] Error 1
>=20
> So, there's definitely something else not working right here. I'm not sure
> what it is as I'm not much of a programmer.  Can anybody else verify this,
> or is something broken on my box.=20

Hrm. Looks like you're not getting all the pthread stuff xmms wants.
xmms was originally written presuming preemptive pthreads, which we
don't have. (We only have cooperative pthreads.) Whoever was
maintaining xmms internally (rh@netbsd.org, Ren=E9 <last name I always
forget>, last I checked) has been putting the necessary cooperative
calls in the localization patches. This used to only cause xmms to
not work right, though, not to not build. (You'd click play, nothing
would happen, as the interface thread never gave the play thread
a turn to do anything.)

> 	Also, is there another mailing list where this may be more
> appropriate to discuss?

tech-pkg?

If you're totally stumped, maybe it's time for a send-pr with what
you know so far?

Huh, before you do that, go read PR 13459 at:

  http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=3D13459

See if the solution there does the trick for you.

(That'll mean rebuilding glib on your system. You might want to cvs
update anything else that depends on it before you do the make
update.)

I'm none too sure this'll also fix the (apparent) pthread problem,
though.

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--2YJj5f1P6Th4nBRw