Subject: Re: "filtered" shared libraries
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2001 18:16:27
On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

: On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:45:40AM -0800, collver@linuxfreemail.com wrote:
: > http://devresource.hp.com/STK/impacts/i720.html
: >
: > ``Filtered Libraries: Filtered shared libraries divide up a large library
: >   into one filter and several implementation libraries. The user links

: 	I think you could probably do this by linking an empty library
: against each of the implementation pieces.  However, I'm not certain that
: ld.so doesn't load all libraries when the "filter" one is loaded.  (which
: would kill any performance gains)

Currently both a.out and ELF ld.so link all dependent libraries when a
program is loaded and/or dlopen() is called.  We support lazy symbol binding
with dlopen(), but not `lazy loading'.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/