Subject: Something very wrong here...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/2001 20:35:44
--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

So, um, I just did a make cleandir and tried to cvs update my
sources (for a build that still hasn't happened) and ran into a
brand new bug. cvs update bitched that usr.bin/ktrace/ktrace wasn't
a directory. Well, of course not, it's a binary. But, um, hey, isn't
that supposed to be in OBJDIR? Shouldn't cleandir have blown it away
anyhow?

Well, alright, then we'll just make it go away specifically. Whoops,
no we won't:

  grappa:usr.bin/ktrace# ls
  .depend      kdump/       ktrace.c     ktrace.o     subr.o
  CVS/         ktrace*      ktrace.cat1  obj@
  Makefile     ktrace.1     ktrace.h     subr.c
  grappa:usr.bin/ktrace# make clean
  rm -f ktrace.o subr.o  ktrace.ln subr.ln
  rm -f a.out [Ee]rrs mklog core *.core ktrace
  grappa:usr.bin/ktrace# ls
  .depend      kdump/       ktrace.c     ktrace.o     subr.o
  CVS/         ktrace*      ktrace.cat1  obj@
  Makefile     ktrace.1     ktrace.h     subr.c
  grappa:usr.bin/ktrace# make cleandir
  rm -f ktrace.o subr.o  ktrace.ln subr.ln
  rm -f a.out [Ee]rrs mklog core *.core ktrace
  rm -f ktrace.cat1
  rm -f .depend /usr/src/usr.bin/ktrace/tags=20
  grappa:usr.bin/ktrace# ls
  .depend      kdump/       ktrace.c     ktrace.o     subr.o
  CVS/         ktrace*      ktrace.cat1  obj@
  Makefile     ktrace.1     ktrace.h     subr.c

In fact, objects seem to exist in all of src/usr.bin/*.

Must I really use find to make these disappear? Is my bsd.prog.mk
out of date? (Or it was and now is not?)

Most importantly, why is cleandir (and clean) not doing what it just
said it did?

This is the worst headache I've ever had tracking -current, and it
just keeps getting worse...

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z