Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD?
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 18:51:02
Greg A. Woods said:

>I suspect you and the others are drastically mis-understanding the
>psychology of developers who are building embedded systems and who are
>now using M$-based systems to host their development efforts.

In the situation that I was in, the developers had to make due with the
equipment and software that the Pointy Haired Bosses gave them.

>I'll bet you a beer that very very very few developers of embedded
>systems will ever consider NetBSD as their target platform and at the
>same time won't also choose to host their efforts on NetBSD itself too.

We were designing a network appliance. The OS of choice was going to
be NetBSD as it was the cleanest BSD out there and because of the
BSD copyright.

We were already using VxWorks, PSOS, and a bunch of other proprietary
tools under Windows NT 4.0.

I was driving the NetBSD effort, and I needed to supply a software solution
that didn't need any hardware other than what we already hand.

The model used by UWIN seemed to fit the situation.

>Now if there were to be a project to get VxWorks development
>environments hosted on *BSD workstations then there might be some chance
>of getting some projects to consider moving to *BSD for their target
>systems as well....

The Windriver web site doesn't seem to say exactly which platforms their
software is hosted on these days.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com