Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 15:15:46
[ On Monday, October 29, 2001 at 11:12:05 (-0800), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD?
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:55:44PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
>  > Why?  Especially when it means everyone else using NetBSD must
>  > effectively jump through unreasonable hoops!
>
> Nonsense.  You have had to jump through exactly zero hoops in order
> to support building from Cygwin.

Hmmm...  But I meant it the other way around -- those of us not building
on Cygwin are now forced to avoid using, or even proposing use of,
source filenames that might conflict with magic on some foreign
platform.  Consistent style (eg. KNF) is one thing, but this is
ludicrous.

> Regardless of whether or not NetBSD is more suitable as a hosting
> platform, hosting from other systems (Linux, Solaris, and Windows,
> being the biggest 3) is something that absolutely must be supported
> if NetBSD wants to be a serious contender in the embedded market.

Two out of three ain't bad....   :-)

Seriously.

Does NetBSD really really want to be a serious contender in the embedded
market?  Isn't the server and desktop market already enough of a stretch
(especially while at the same time attempting to be a half-decent
self-hosted OS research platform)?  Isn't that kind of market
development something best left to a third party NetBSD developer?

--
							Greg A. Woods