Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 19:45:41
At 11:32 AM 10/27/2001 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de> writes:
> > >One problem is that we still incorrectly account for shared library
> > >pages as though they were file pages, which results in them getting
> > >nuked quickly (especially when we are dealing with huge shared libs
> > >like the ones for mozilla). Simply fixing that bug would be a giant
> > >win.
>
> > That was the idea of my patch by using the ref-count from the vnode as
> > it is only 1 for fs-cache-only vnodes and higher for others as far as
> > I know....
>
>There is no reason we can't do this right. If we simply account for
>pages mapped executable differently from those in files we'll be
>fine. It can't possibly be that hard.
Yes using the ref count seems quite good to me as is it makes the difference.
The trouble with making the difference by looking at vtext is that only the
text section are mapped vtext and that the datasection of an executable are
mapped like "any other filemapping" or are anons if they have been cow.
I think there has been some discussion about the fact that libraries are
not acounted as vtext at all (in the current implementation).

Lars