Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD? [was Re: CVS commit: basesrc]
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 00:53:08
[ On Friday, October 26, 2001 at 22:47:56 (-0400), Andrew Cagney wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD? [was Re: CVS commit: basesrc]
>
> Why not try cygwin!

Why not?  Because it runs only on software that I will _never_ run on
any machine I own or use for anything substantive.

Besides, I already have at my disposal a number of perfectly fine
systems that are so very unix-like right to their core that I can't
imagine what I could ever gain by even contemplating the use of cygwin.

>  See if you can spot a difference between it and
> UNIX (other than filename case insensitivity[sp]).

well, that's a huge enough difference as far as I'm concerned....

I "fought" long and hard to rid my world of Unix systems with 14-char
filename limits.  I'm certainly not going to return to using any
system with roots still in the pre-historic ages after all that!

Cygwin is merely a crutch, as is the very platforms it runs on too.
Nobody _needs_ it -- though of course I won't stop anyone from choosing
it if that's what the really think they want.....

--
							Greg A. Woods