Subject: Re: make obj problem
To: Amit Kulkarni <amitkulz@yahoo.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2001 14:58:24
On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 09:58:22AM -0700, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> The source of the problem is this line in
> .if !target(__initialized__)
> How to initialize all the targets if not by make obj ?
	You're reading that wrong.  The __initialized__ stuff is like the
#ifdef/#define multiple inclusion protetion you see in header files.
make obj creates directories for the object files to go in when you build.

> Can somebody please fix this and the gas/kernel compile problem so that
> newbies don't have to post such kinds of questions repeatedly to
> current-users ?
>
> "/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.subdir.mk", line 4: Malformed conditional
	These problems are fixed.  You just need to read the UPDATING file better.
You need to rebuild make.   From UPDATING:

20010114:
    introduce .if commands(target) in make(1). You need to
    bring everything up-to-date first, then without installing
    anything make and install in usr.bin/make, then proceed
    with make build.

Since you already installed the .mk files you have to build it by hand:
cd usr.bin/make && cc *.c */*c -o /usr/bin/make

The answer to the gas/kernel compile issue is in UPDATING too (20010803).

I suppose those could be improved to include the easier to do instructions.
(like just remove I686_CPU from the kernel config.)

eric