Subject: Problems using old Yamaha CD writers
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/2001 08:06:56
I remember that I was not the only one who found myself unable to use
a Yamaha CRW4416S CD writer under NetBSD -- it gave SCSI timeout
messages during the boot-time probing of the device, and failed to
attach.  Now that I've figured out why, I thought I'd share the
information with the list.

The problem was, that the firmware on the device had a bug, which
caused it to fail when attached to a wide controller.  After upgrading
the firmware (from version 1.0b to 1.0j), the writer now works.  The
upgrade for this, and other Yamaha CD writers, is available on
Yamaha's web site, at

    <URL:http://www.yamaha.com/ycaservice/group001/fgrop001.htm>

-tih
--
Puritanism -- the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.