Subject: PPP help
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: James Graham <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2001 10:16:19
Greetings, all!

I have a ppp conundrum which I'm not certain how to solve; perhaps I'd best
start by asking one question:

* Is our pppd client-only, or can it act as a server as well?

The situation is this.  My client has a bunch of embedded NetBSD
systems for coin sorters, and it keeps track of various stats which my
client then wishes to return as a web page OVER PPP once a client
connects via same.

Now I've managed to get the two pppds talking to each other [straight
serial, null modem, until I can get this debugged].

Test environment is:

	P5/133, NetBSD 1.4.1			PC104 i386, NetBSD 1.4.1

ppp0	192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.255.1		192.168.255.1 -> 192.168.1.1
$eth0	10.240.41.156				10.240.41.174

[$eth since they have different ethernet types]

Currently, all default routes are going out the $eth port.  Ethernet
works fine.

Once ppp is going, I cannot even ping the local ppp address.  It does not
respond.

net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 on both systems.

The current ip-up and ip-down scripts only seem to suggest adding a
default route to the configuration, which kind of throws a wrench in the
works since I don't WANT it to be a default route (I assumed that commenting
it out would be the right thing to do, but no matter what I do, I cannot
ping either end of the link).

What am I missing here?

				--*greywolf;
--