Subject: Re: Xircom woes
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <fessel@DeTeMobil.de>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/2001 09:09:07
Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> > I'm trying to get a Xircom 10/100 + Modem combo card working.  The modem
> > portion of it works just fine, but the network card isn't found.
> > dmesg(1) gives the following output:
> >
> > pcmcia0: CIS version PC Card Standard 5.0
> > pcmcia0: CIS info: Xircom, CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56, CEM56, 1.00
> > pcmcia0: Manufacturer code 0x105, product 0x110a
> [...]
> > I've attempted modifying the product ids in pcmciavars.h for the CEM56
> > and REM56 to be 0x110a (instead of 0x110b).  No luck.  I figure that I'm
> > changing the wrong thing.
>
> if you comment out the com* at pcmcia* in the kernel config, then the network
> portion should be found.  I fiddled around with that back when the xi driver
> was introduced and came to the conclusion that multifunction devices are not
> really supported by NetBSD, which didn't really hurt because I don't use
> analog modems and got me a CardBus IBM Etherjet shortly after that...

The xircom cards aren't multifunction cards.  They have an ethernet
chip sitting *behind* the serial interface.  The combo cards actually
identify themselves exclusively as serial ports in the CIS.

The discussion about the product IDs is all wrong.  The xircom cards
actually have their product IDs in the wrong bytes of the CIS.
0x110a and 0x110b are actually the cards capabilities not the
product ID.  No point modifying pcmciavars.h, it isn't used for matching.

BTW, thanks for the tip about disabling the com* at pcmica* to get
the card to work.  Can anyone else verify this?

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>