Subject: Adding Perl to NetBSD
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2001 10:08:49
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> However, just installing 'Perl' never seems to be the answer.  It seems
> like you have to use CPAN to go off and fetch about 500 seperate little
> dependancies for each script you want to run.

Yes. This is usually the point where I just give up, go finish my bottle
of vodka, and drown my sorrows.

> So if you're going to lobby to have Perl mainlined (pun intended), then
> you have to figure out how to make it useful for those who are not going
> to be net.connected.

It's not useless just because it doesn't cover every last thing.
Having perl and a reasonable array of the commonly used modules would
cover a lot more ground than having nothing at all. I get along quite
well with the current configuration that installs from pkgsrc.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org