Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 20:07:47
Thor Lancelot Simon said:

>Me too.  The idea that we can't _ever_ remove software from the NetBSD
>base distribution is one of the principal factors encouraging the recent
>and horrific bloat of NetBSD.  The amount of disk required for a minimal
>(base+etc) distribution has _doubled_ since 1.4.

A big part of the bloat is going from a.out to ELF.

/usr/local/users/rmk> uname -a
NetBSD seahag 1.4.1 NetBSD 1.4.1 (SEAHAG) #1: Sat Mar  4 00:05:04 MST 2000     rmk@seahag:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/SEAHAG sparc
/usr/local/users/rmk> ls -l /bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  212992 Jul 19  1999 /bin/ls

/home/rmk> uname -a
NetBSD warthog 1.5 NetBSD 1.5 (WARTHOG) #0: Wed Dec 13 22:35:57 MST 2000     rmk@warthog:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/WARTHOG sparc
/home/rmk> ls -l /bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  317344 Nov 23  2000 /bin/ls

And if you look at /sbin and /usr/bin you will see that some commands are
bloating up while others did shrink in the changeover.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com