Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 20:59:04
On 9/30/01 7:57 PM, Frederick Bruckman (fredb@immanent.net) wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
>> (And I'll not let the argument count that a in-pkgsrc version is harder
>> to maint than an in-tree version, that's bullshit).
>
>So you would remove everything from the base tree except the kernel,
>and move it into pkgsrc?

We've all seen the questions from new users asking where adduser is or
how one installs a package on the system.  Maybe the thing that should
drive the decision to move something should be based on the availability
of documentation on the system rather than the size of the distribution.

Is there an O'Rielly "NetBSD in a Netshell" book that can serve as a
desktop quick reference?  If NetBSD diverges from traditional BSD without
the support of a lot of books, documenation, and Dummies Guides it will
just be that much harder to attact new users.  Isn't this one of the
things that contributes to the success of Linux?  There are a lot of
Linux books on the shelves at CompUSA and MicroCenter but not many on BSD.

-bob