Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 17:33:38
Greg A. Woods said:

>I've no desire to see packaging get that fine-grained.  Separately
>packaging large subsystems like UUCP, the compilers, all documentation,
>etc., is one thing, but total fine-trained packaging is quite another.
>It can be a nighmare to use (and no doubt to maintain) on those
>commercial unix systems that go to such trouble.

Yes, Solaris has gone completely overboard.

rattler> uname -a
SunOS rattler 5.8 Generic_108528-08 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-4
rattler> pkginfo | wc -l
     373

Except for GCC and OpenOffice, I've added almost nothing to this
system. This was a developer install, as opposed to full install or
full w/OEM install.

The seven binary tarballs shipped with NetBSD do the job.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com