Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 21:57:23
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 02:12:29PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 01:06:27PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > i still use uucp.
> >
> > i've been saying for years (since pkgsrc was created) that it should
> > be exiled to pkgsrc.
>
> Me too.  The idea that we can't _ever_ remove software from the NetBSD
> base distribution is one of the principal factors encouraging the recent
> and horrific bloat of NetBSD.  The amount of disk required for a minimal
> (base+etc) distribution has _doubled_ since 1.4.

I agree with you. As I don't use UUCP, I'd like to see it moved to pkgsrc,
so I won't fill my disk with software I'm never going to use,
and people who use UUCP will have easy way to install it.

And as I don't use postfix, I don't want to have it in base...
Since there is a postfix package, this seems *absolutely* redundant
to me. One could install binary package if he doesn't like pkgsrc.

No, I'm not for moving everything to pkgsrc, just moving 2 large things
most people may never touch would make me happy.

--
/* Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org> */