Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 08:08:05
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 01:44:22PM +0200, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:
> Does anyone use uucp these days? I have never used it, and I like
> the idea of removing obsolete (at least from my point of view) software.

  Yes, it's a very handy mail-transport tool for folks who have part-time
connections to the internet.  It interfaces well with sendmail at both
ends of a connection, easily permitting mail for multiple users to flow
in either direction as transparently as with a full-time connection using
smtp, with no need for local users to have accounts, mailboxes, or aliases
on the remote system.  It can operate over its own dialup sessions or over
in-progress ppp connections, and it can choose between those possibilities
on the fly (i.e., use a ppp connection if and only if one is already
established, otherwise performing its own dialup, which is typically
established faster than a ppp connection).

  It may be old, and security is an issue, but it's definitely still very
useful.  Nevertheless, I would not object at all to having it moved into
pkgsrc.  Indeed, it would be nice to have all of userland split into
packages, and modular 3rd-party software like Taylor UUCP would be an easy
place to start.

--Jim