Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 16:28:53
> Does anyone use uucp these days?

Yes.  We normally talk uucp over tcp with our backup mxer and do a
"traditional" uucp over modem dialout call once an hour, and if our
internet link goes down for long time, we can just flip a switch to
talk uucp over modem exclusively and more frequently.  The
connectivity is better these days, but few years ago this setup was
very handy in ensuring we had email even when the link was down for
hours.

We also deliver mail over uucp to people that would like to.

> I have never used it, and I like the idea of removing obsolete (at
> least from my point of view) software.

Since IP connectivity is getting more and more ubiquitous there are
fewer cases where you _need_ to use uucp and so modern ISP don't even
provide uucp service.  I still think that for a site without permanent
IP connectivity, uucp will do perfectly (much better than any
fetchmail tricks).

I don't know if we should keep it in the base system, may be I'm just
emotionally attached to it as I used to rely on uucp for my mail and
news for quite some time.

SY, Uwe