Subject: Another tweak needed (Re: HEADS UP: new toolchain info! (now default on i386))
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2001 11:49:57
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> typed:
:If you run into any trouble with this, please e-mail me.  This will be
:documented more as the new toolchain is refined.

Looking pretty good so far.
Have another problem:
1) wipe out all your installed include files (but not the dir hierarchy)
2) try to build - watch the build tools try to use installed include files
3) try to run "make includes" (without resetting USETOOLS)

Previously, either 2 or 3 would work.

The build order needs to install all include files right near the start.

My mini-cogitate suggests:
they need to be installed before binstall so binstall can be made
 thus they can't use binstall
 thus they shouldn't be installed into the normal DESTDIR tree
  but could be installed via a basic tool (say, cp) into the TOOLDIR tree
  and the tools use a -nostdinc -I$(TOOLDIR)/include type system

But, I can think of one downside to that method:
when a new __RENAME is added to an include then the buildtools might
flop (if they need that call) since the libraries will still be out of date.

Hopefully you (or someone) can think of something more robust.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing  <gcw@pobox.com>