Subject: Re: failures in libgcc on exception.cc (was Re: Builds with/without USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/2001 09:59:16
On Monday 24 September 2001  1:21 am, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <01092400290702.01261@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>, Chris Gilbert
> writ
>
> es:
> >On Sunday 23 September 2001 11:09 pm, Peter Seebach wrote:
> >> One problem:  Make is often using "if .defined(USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN)"... so
> >> how can you turn it off?  I would assume that USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=no will
> >> still trip this.
> >>
> >> /usr/src/gnu/lib/libgcc/../../dist/toolchain/gcc/cp/exception.cc
> >> /usr/src/gn /lib/libgcc/../../dist/gcc/cp/exception.cc
> >
> >Note the different filename.  you need to remove the .depend file by hand
> >from your obj dir.  Then it works.  Seems that make cleandir isn't a good
> > as it should be.
>
> Yup.  !@*#!@*# .depend files.  Do we even really need to make these?

Yes we do.  Otherwise a header file change won't cause the correct c files to
rebuild.  This is more obvious with the kernel .depend file.  eg I change
pmap.h without a .depend file nothing rebuilds, change it with and half the
kernel rebuilds.  In this case I think something is wrong with the clean up
though.

Cheers,
Chris