Subject: Re: access point list from Lucent wireless cards
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/2001 09:49:50
	<Pine.NEB.4.33.0109191921091.3688-100000@vespasia.home-net.internetconnect.net>

> > I plan on cleaning up the driver and committing it later this week,
> > along with a program, probably called wimonitor, which will display
> > the nearby access points.
>
> One cool thing I'd like this or some other program to do is be able to set
> wi parameters based on which SSIDs are around. So when I'm at work, I
> choose the work WEP setup, and at home, I choose the home setup.
>
> Could you also back-port this to 1.5?

Don't do this before making it generic among 802.11 LAN drivers, please.
Currently, we have 4 802.11 drivers (wi, awi, ray, an) and creating
such utilities separately for each driver is not the right thing, IMHO.

There are some issues to be discussed.

	utilities:
		Which functions should be implemented in ifconfig(8)?
		Our consensus is that functions required to establish
		connection are required to be put in /sbin directory,
		and if the function is common between drivers, it should
		be merged into ifconfig(8).

		A parameter selecting utility may be implemented like
		dhclient(8).  Making hooks to execute script just as
		dhclient does would be better than setting wi(4)
		specific parameters directly.

	API:
		We have a few ioctls with group 'i' now for ifconfig(8).
		Some controls use ifmedia interface.
		Given that FreeBSD tries to define generic wireless LAN
		interface, should we port it to NetBSD?

		Should we call the API to collect information of access
		points?  Or performing active scan (send probe request
		and receive probe response/beacon) via packet interface
		such as bpf(4)?

Atsushi Onoe