Subject: Re: access point list from Lucent wireless cards
To: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
From: None <kml@selresearch.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2001 11:39:16
In message <Pine.NEB.4.30.0109191837230.11349-100000@jellycat>Jasper Wallace writes
>On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:
>
>> we currently have the bpf tap attached after the pseudo ethernet
>> header is constructed, so 802.11 packets end up looking like regular
>> ethernet packets.  would it be outlandish for me to suggest an ioctl
>> to frob this?
>
>Isn't that how linux does it (802.11 looking like ethernet packets)?
>
>If it is it would be nice to remain (or become) compatible so we can use
>ethereal etc to analyse the packets...

As I've tried to fiddle with wireless stuff, I've occassionally wished
for the ability to see the packets as they actually look "over the ether".
I certainly think it'd be nice to have this functionality, and I don't
think it'd be that hard to add the code to tcpdump and/or ethereal to
handle it.  (Easy for me to say, but...)

Kevin
kml@selresearch.net