Subject: Re: access point list from Lucent wireless cards
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/2001 17:36:12
>I've got the code written, but it needs a bit of a cleanup still.
>However, I can now get a list of access points, their received
>signal and noise levels, and their capabilities.  I cannot yet get
>their names, since I do not know the protocol to do this.
>
>1000832043.211
>    00:60:1d:1f:64:87 flame.org
>        channel  8 signal -50 noise -97 beacon 100 AP
>    00:04:5a:d2:cd:23 home.flame.org
>        channel 11 signal -54 noise -73 beacon 100 AP/WEP

dude.  that's really kewl.  so...you "trick" the card into sending a
"probe request", and the card itself records the responses for a short
period of time?  or do you have to poll the card frequently?

i had sort of naively expected that the "probe response" packets would
contain all that information, along with the signal and noise numbers
that the card makes up...

what criterion are you using for putting names like "flame.org" in
there?

>(BTW, Unix timestamps seem so damned strange with that leading 1...)

yeah...

>I plan on cleaning up the driver and committing it later this week,
>along with a program, probably called wimonitor, which will display
>the nearby access points.

cool.  anything i can do to help?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|